Sunday, November 30, 2008

[story 06]

My work and Internet Environment

picture 1. Bdlove lamp by Ross Lovegrove

One grows up, one has a series of influences and those influences affect how a person designs objects. Some of my early work in high school was experimental. I was exploring the style of painting and trying to see what style I would fit in. I guess I have been influenced more by the works of artist than designer at that time. Then, my favorite was Van Gogh. I was attracted by his various and magical color and tried to follow his unique drawing style, which combines thick textured paint, called “Impasto.” Looking not too far in the past, I loved the work of Ross Lovegrove. Ross is an industrial designer and architecture as well. I liked his concept that synthesizes “organic essentialism.” He uses minimum resources but at the same time achieves the maximum civilizing effect. His giant organic speaker, and a modular light which constructs the entire ceiling have a beauty of longevity. I rarely saw products that have this feeling.

From those influences through education and personal experience, my design goal has been summarized to one word "harmony." I think a successful design has a harmony inside. Like a picture of Van Gogh and a chair of Ross Lovegrove, something that conveys a sense of harmony is loved by people for a long time. I feel like I have finished the drawing when a main object and a background are harmonized in color and texture. I think my design process is pretty successful when the material, function, and aesthetic have a balance in it.

After I finished the graduate program, I want to work as a mass product designer. I respect the art and craft piece and the will of authors. However, I am more interested in creating user scenarios and providing thoughtful solutions to companies. Later on, being a product designer leader is my goal. And whatever stage I am standing for, I will keep a sense of harmony in my mind.

And it is glad that I am studying in an international design school now. Most of the design school in Korea, in which I finished my bachelor degree, prioritize efficient computer skill and visualization. In RISD master program, I can advance my ability to think critically and virtually experience the manufacturing process.
For two years in RISD, I am going to experiment and build my own realm. Most of product designers work together, and everyone has their own strong point to make contribution for the team. Currently, my interests is a public system design. I am working for the recycle system of Dunkin Donuts in my studio class. I came up with a reusing coffee cup idea which combines non-monetary cup collecting system.


This project was helpful to understand the overall process of user research and brand strategy. Furthermore, I could observe a system design and a well-structured user scenario can affect user's behavior greatly. I am now planning to study the boundary between a space and a product in my winter session.

Considering my interests these days,
my favorite designer is Kengo Kuma, an artist who recently exhibited a Japanese real estate space. In Milan show, he presented a home system named “Tsunagu” (means "connection" in Japanese) which have inside-outside connections using natural materials. I liked the way he combine Japanese traditional materials and industrial components together, bringing natural elements into the interior space. Everything is harmonized, and balanced.

picture 2. “Tsunagu” house by Kengo Kuma










Today, there are a number of issues that a designer should consider. Many designers are confused about the boundies between art and design, craft and mass production, and style and function. Designers also learn in their academic school that there are many social and environmental problems that should be critically considered. As I mentioned above, I believe a "harmony" is a key. Whether we work as an artist or designer, it is fine if we can create something that can be unified with people and solves problem around us. People will keep treasure our object or system with longevity allured by its harmonization.

No comments: